Monday, April 24, 2006

Prisoners Of Paradigm

"I am not having good sleeps,nowdays.Feeling as if I am going the other way,when some of our friends are having a jolly ride on their choosen path."I was just looking with a kiddish twinkle in my eyes to the person who was sitting in front of me.

No he was not a stranger to me.If you calculate the duration of time , we both have been together then there is no way you can tell the person as a stranger to me.We both were in the school for 7 years.Being the alumni of a boarding school, I didn't have any doubt about the knowledge I had about my friend.Anyway coming to the situation wherein we both were participants,I was wondering what he was talking about??Is it that, he is unsatisfied about his job or is it that he is not having a grt time with his family.People who are unmarried are said to have a jolly time I know.Why, I also search for the answer sometime.Though I have heard a lot of answers I don't see them as the proper ones.But here I was having someone in front of me who was more unhappy than someone who would have been married for more than 15 years.

Just out of curiousity & somewhat out of my callings to help him, I asked "Tell me what is it that is bothering you so much???" You are quite good at your job,you have been promoted so early,uncle & aunty both are happy with you,as they were telling the other day when I called them,Why you look so unhappy???"

He just wanted to avoid my question,but I kept on pestering .He gave up to my tenacity & bluntly came the reply,"I feel so and so is doing well,is earning much more than what I earn,got a chance to go abroad,etc. etc.",which were according to me not his own problems,but the prosperity of the other person who he was talking about, was the cause of his unhappiness.

Could not understand what I would say to him.Even I was not convinced about my honesty in this matter also. I also loose sleep sometimes over other people's prosperity.So kept myself mum & finished my lunch.Time was for me to come to my place leaving him at his building.

Being a sunny day the sun was shining above me with all force & since I had a summer cut ,the sun rays were piercing like neddles into my head.But that did not stop me from thinking why do we always attach our happiness to the other person's achievements and failures??? Can't we think of happiness as an absolute feeling rather than treating it as a comarative one.Why do we dream of other people's dreams?Can't we treat our dreams as the sole motivator for us to achieve something big.Read somewhere that "If you think about other people's dreams where is the time for your own dream??".Thinking about other people may make us success for a short time,because that envy will propel us to achieve something higher,but then there will be always someone else with whose achievements we will attach our happiness.

Life does not give us chance to live twice.If one second is lost it is gone forever.I don't believe in people who say time is multidimensional.For time being let us be very practical & accept the fact that time is unidimensional.It always moves forward.So why not to make every second a second for ourselves.Why can't we live it for our own????

So many thoughts & so less time to find answers....."Hey Bibhu whats up man??? How is your job going buddy???Did you see your manager abt your colleague who joined with you getting higher salary than you????",one of my close colleagues was asking.I just looked at him & thought to myself, aren't we all still imprisoned in that paradigm where everything is measured comparatively,every other day someone falls ill due to the only reason that someone he or she knows is having a good health.Life moves on ,so the society also. Who am I to question??? Let us all compare ourselves to each other & feel happy even if we are not.

No comments: